Monday, May 11, 2009

Homer and Summer

The summer is sultry and sticky. I am jobless and I am reading Homer. In a blaze of May heat corpses pile at the gates of Ilium. The Greeks slaughter by the day and feast by the night. Achilles broods alone.

Sometimes there is a shower of rain. Clouds flit past the sky, drench the earth. The red earth of this campus is redder for a while. Despite the heat flowers bloom. They do not last long. The trees had shed their leaves not long ago. The raiment of green is cladding them again. Sometimes I spot a ladybug on a leaf. When I see nothing I draw faces. But I always throw them in the waste basket.

The shields and curets of heroes shine. The gods watch from the heavens. Ilium has not fallen yet. The heroes slaughter on.

Sometimes I fight within me. Sometimes I reason to me. Winter, summer, spring follow each other. Life has been like this since it was born. I know that sometimes you must live in nothing. I watch the heroes battling. I know that I am not heroic. Sometimes I am just too afraid.

Strange birds perch on the tree outside my balcony. I do not know where they come from. I do not know if they really are. They talk to each other when they are. But they are quick to fly away. The Trojan battlefield is soaked in blood.

I have no shield and I have no curets. I know no bard will sing of me after I have fought and have become the earth. But often to fight is not a choice. It is a state.

Sometimes it rains and sometimes the sun shines. The earth emits the fragrance of rain. Life lives itself and is beautiful.


No comments: